Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who’ve intercourse with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be utilized among MSM to meet up with sexual lovers 3,4. Increased usage of smart phones combined with the typical usage of apps to locate sexual lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to review the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among a sample of young MSM that are black in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. Those who utilized apps reported their most often used apps as Jack’d (69.8%) accompanied by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) utilized apps to look for intimate lovers, the typical wide range of “app-met partners” with who they involved with insertive sex was 1.19; nearly 1 / 3 for the encounters had been condomless. Moreover, over 25 % of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize
Intimate risk among application MSM that is utilizing had been utilizing a test of 174 app-using MSM in nyc. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the connection between these facets and condomless intercourse. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever making use of liquor (51.1%) so when utilizing any medications (25.9%). Participants had been almost certainly going to participate in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been getting used when working with any medications or when utilizing apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps have indicated their usefulness that is potential among and health care providers trying to reduce steadily the chance of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV assessment. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being greater among those reporting current binge ingesting and present club drug use 7.
Existing geosocial-networking applications have been completely utilized to provide HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health issues substance use, intimate partner physical violence, and sexual danger using. App-based health that is sexual focusing on MSM should really be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to utilize mexican dating sites apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social media marketing Utilize Will Continue To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health conditions for homosexual and bisexual males: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males that have intercourse with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a mobile relationship app. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, ?lvaro Francisco Lopes, de Ara?jo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males who’ve intercourse with males through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal associated with the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males who possess intercourse with males: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern usa. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking smartphone application usage and engagement in condomless rectal intercourse among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with men whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cell phone apps for HIV prevention among males that have intercourse with guys in London: Web-based survey. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. social networking Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Online Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more info, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work had been sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the brand new York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general public health conditions associated with HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV Research NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL